Bashaw Meadows Outbreak

October 26, 2021

We are pleased to report no new active cases.


October 20, 2021

We are happy to report no new active cases.

The Lodge residents who have been impacted by the DSL outbreak have been given the following exceptions to the restrictions:  Lodge residents can participate in group activities if masked; Lodge residents who have spouses in DSL are permitted to visit.


October 14, 2021

Unfortunately, the results from the October 6 prevalence testing revealed 2 new positive cases – one DSL resident and one staff member.  Restrictions will remain in place at this time.


Update October 8, 2021

One DSL resident has been confirmed positive.  All DSL residents were swabbed on October 6 and results are pending.


Update September 24, 202

Unfortunately, one staff member has tested positive for COVID-19.  We are awaiting direction from CDC as this will extend the outbreak and may require reinstatement of some restrictions at the site.


Update September 17, 2021

We are pleased to report that the staff member awaiting test results was confirmed negative, and the site restrictions will begin lessening tomorrow, September 18th


Update September 15, 2021

There are no new positive residents, however 2 of the 3 Lodge residents who tested positive are in acute care – one related to COVID, the other for non-covid reasons.

One staff has reported symptoms and we are awaiting test results.  Pending this staff swab being confirmed negative, beginning the morning of September 18th the following restrictions will be lifted:

  • Unvaccinated residents can come off isolation
  • Social visiting can resume
  • Hairdressing can resume
  • Group activities can resume
  • Spouses (where 1 resides in Lodge and 1 in DSL) can resume dining together

No additional prevalence testing is required and no additional meetings will be scheduled unless positive results or symptoms arise.


Update September 13, 2021

As of Friday September 10, there were no new positive resident or staff cases.  The second symptomatic DSL resident has received a negative test result, so there are currently no positive cases in the DSL area.   Additionally, the Lodge resident who was taken to acute care earlier in the week has returned to the Lodge.

The second round of prevalence testing for the site took place on Saturday, September 11.

The next meeting with AHS is scheduled for Tuesday September 14.


Update September 8, 2021

All staff test results to date have come back negative, but unfortunately one of the three Lodge residents who had previously tested positive has been admitted to acute care.   Of the 2 DSL residents who were symptomatic and swabbed, one has received a negative test result and we are still waiting on the second test result. The next round of prevalence testing is scheduled for Saturday September 11th.

The next meeting with AHS is scheduled for Friday September 10th.


Update September 3, 2021

Prevalence testing for all residents took place at the site today and unfortunately two new lodge residents have tested positive.  The next round of prevalence testing will take place next week.  All Bethany Group staff and Home Care staff will undergo testing and we await those results. 

Fully vaccinated residents may continue to eat in the dining room and move about outside of their rooms, although residents are asked to not move between floors.  Group activities and social visits are on hold at this time, but each resident is permitted up to four designated family/support persons onsite.   Fully vaccinated residents are able to leave the site for essential medical appointments providing the receiving site is aware of the outbreak status.

The next meeting with AHS will be on Tuesday September 7th.


Update September 2, 2021

This morning Alberta Health Services declared an outbreak of COVID-19 in Bashaw Meadows. The outbreak has been declared as a result of one resident testing positive for COVID-19. At this point in time we are pleased to see no further symptoms with any residents or employees.

Only residents who have not been fully vaccinated are required to remain in their rooms for their own safety.  Dining room service will continue for all vaccinated residents.  Personal grooming services are currently on hold.  All group activities for fully vaccinated, asymptomatic residents may continue.

Visitation will be limited to 4 Designated Family Support people.  Fully vaccinated residents are able to leave the site for essential medical appointments providing the receiving site is aware of the outbreak status.

Prevalence testing for the site is scheduled for Friday, September 3rd.