For the past two years, The Bethany Group has worked towards receiving accreditation with Accreditation Canada. During May and June 2015, surveyors from Accreditation Canada visited 12 facilities managed by The Bethany Group to conduct on-site surveys. Locations and sites visited were identified by considering risk factors, the scope of services, patient flow, geographical location, issues or concerns, and results from previous on-site surveys. On June 19, the organization was pleased to receive a letter stating The Bethany Group had received accreditation.
Accreditation is an ongoing process of evaluating and recognizing a program or service as meeting established standards. Accreditation Canada’s Qmentum program helps organizations strengthen the quality and safety of their services and programs. An independent, not-for-profit organization, Accreditation Canada has set national standards for more than 55 years, accrediting more than 1,100 health care and social services organizations in Canada and around the world.
The Bethany Group was assessed on the System-Wide Standards: Leadership, Governance, Infection Prevention & Control Standards for Community-Based Organizations, Medication Management Standards for Community-Based Organizations; and the Service Excellence Standards: Residential Homes for Seniors and Long-Term Care Services. Out of a total of 627 criteria, the organization met 565 (31 were not applicable) leaving only 31 unmet criteria.
During their on-site survey, the team observed the care that was provided; talked to staff, clients, families, and others; reviewed documents and files; and, recorded the results. They commented in their report, “This is a growing and energetic organization with a strong management team and good support from a very interested and involved Board.”
One of the challenges The Bethany Group faces is geographical with several locations across Central Alberta and a fair distance from Corporate Headquarters in Camrose. However, it was noted that “managers have made every effort to have all locations feel a part of a large caring organization.” The team also commented that the leadership team was energetic, knowledgeable, positive, and focused on providing quality services and care.
Several areas were identified as strengths by the team including:
- a strong inter-disciplinary care team consisting of physicians, pharmacists, chaplaincy, educators, occupational health & safety, infection control, numerous therapists who work together to provide services focused on a safe and positive environment;
- an in-house pharmacy where the pharmacist addresses resident concerns and works closely with nursing and medical staff;
- preventative maintenance that allows for a safe environment;
- ongoing education and opportunities for advancement, especially the e-Learning site as a way to provide many opportunities for education;
- communication and resource management;
- a strong community focus and the respect that The Bethany Group has in the greater health care community; and,
- home-like environments that focus on the resident.
Overall, the surveyors thought “There is a feeling of professionalism, warmth, happiness, and caring that is demonstrated at the leadership level and seen throughout the organization. Staff appeared to be proud to be providing services to the residents. Community partners and families spoke highly of the organization.”
The Bethany Group is extremely proud of receiving accreditation and its efforts in providing quality care and services. While it celebrates this achievement, leadership also recognize the need to work on achieving a few unmet criteria by November 2015. These include improvement in its data collection and reporting. Efforts are already underway to address these concerns.
The facilities included in accreditation are:
- Bashaw Meadows – Designated Supportive Living
- Bashaw Meadows – Lodge
- Bethany Meadows – Continuing Care
- Bethany Meadows – Designated Supportive Living
- Eckville Manor House – Designated Supportive Living
- Eckville Manor House – Lodge
- Faith House
- Louise Jensen Care Centre
- Memory Lane
- Rosehaven Care Centre
- Wetaskiwin Meadows